Project background and main business challenges
Mauna Kea Technologies was formed 20 years ago by a group of astro-physicists with little or no medical background to work on an innovative concept to avoid the need to send physical tissue samples for anatomic pathology. They developed a miniature microscope that allows surgeons to see tissue inside the human body, in real time, at a cellular level. “We are literally inside the patient.” By changing how biopsies are managed, their aim is to eliminate uncertainties in diagnosis and treatment and as a result improve patient care thanks to this technology, known as confocal laser endomicroscopy.
With 120 employees, the firm now sells its products to hospitals and clinics in more than 40 countries worldwide with the majority of these 600 systems already up and running.
I soon realized I was dealing with a completely manual system where the accounts were held in a conventional system, with no interfaces and where everything was done by hand, including manual invoicing and stock tracking, requiring reconciliations between many different databases, often resulting in discrepancies and wasted time, and consequently shortcomings in terms of efficiency.
Opting for SAP ERP with the Cadexpress Life Sciences solution
Running both Linux and Mac environments, which is very rare for a manufacturing business, the objective was to find a flexible ERP solution that would help to support our development.
Having sent a request for proposals to 10 software publishers, we opted for “SAP Business All-in-one”, which met all the pre-requisites we had set (flexible, structured solutions, able to handle multiple currencies and subsidiaries, etc.). “Being flexible enough for a smaller business is very important, but it also offers huge potential to help us grow later,” explains Eric Cohen, VP Finance.
SAP Cadexpress Life Sciences ERP is a prepackaged solution incorporating all the “medical devices” processes that made a swift implementation possible for us, in keeping with our resources, as we had a very small team of 8 people for the implementation. It was all put together in just 4 months, and it was really thanks to the skills provided by Cadexpress and a close-knit team of consultants that we were able to go live inside that timeframe.
Mauna Kea réalise son projet en 4 mois avec SAP Cadexpress Life Sciences
The challenges :
- Managing product approval for individual countries
- Commercial management under US standards (tax jurisdiction)
- The possibilities of product configuration
The five key strengths of the solution for our project
TVH Consulting’s twin expertise in both IT and business has made Cadexpress Life Sciences a success and explains our choice of this solution, fully meeting all of our needs given the urgent backdrop of the sale of our subsidiary.
- Detailed monitoring of transactions, reported directly as accounts entries for management auditing
- An intuitive and flexible solution offering quick, accurate traceability of transactions
- Reliable data that save time and reduce human error
- A more structured IT system providing better control over data and risk.
- A single, unifying system enhancing the organization structurally, readily accepted by even the most reluctant key users
The benefits :
- Quick project, compliant with the Code of Federal Regulations, FDA 21 CFR Part 11
- Product traceability to customers and patients under full control
- Software able to provide a framework for future growth